MAC have always been at the forefront when it comes to innovation in beauty, and here Hunger Fashion Editor Alexander Harley and make up artist Suzy Rycroft get colourful with some of MAC’s brightest shades of lipstick, before Rachel O’Donnell, Senior Artist at MAC, talks us through the coming season’s key trends.
WHAT TRENDS SHOULD WE EXPECT FOR AW13?
Eye trend ranges from haunted eyes washed with sheer cold colours to dark eyeliner shapes disrupted by a morning after effect. Opposites attract as texture stories make an appearance, high shine and velvet mattes are layered on flawless bases and this seasons the classic red lip is deep and disturbed.
WHAT’S THE SECRET TO THE PERFECT LIP?
Lip primer, lip liner and attitude.
CAN YOU EVER WEAR A HEAVY LIP AND EYE TOGETHER, WHAT RULES SHOULD WE FOLLOW? follow?
The rules tell us to do one or the other – but there’s no fun in sticking with rules. Keep eyes and lip balanced in opacity and depth of colour and channel the great Alexis Colby.
WILL WE EVER TIRE OF THE RED LIP, AND WHAT ARE MAC DOING TO UPDATE THE LOOKS FOR AW13?
From glam to grunge the red lip is the ultimate power statement and the way in which it is worn is always reinvented so we will never get bored of it! This AW period at MAC is every lipstick lovers heaven debuting newer, brighter, bolder shades of red or shining a spotlight on old classics. The collections this season feature some surprises, some supermodels, and some downright divas! The relaunch of Ru Paul’s iconic Viva Glam 1 lipstick couldn’t have come at a better time, this blackened cherry red lip suits all skin tones and is the perfect lip for AW13.
MAC ARE KNOWN FOR INNOVATION IN BEAUTY, WHAT TRICKS HAVE YOU GOT UP YOUR SLEEVE FOR THE COMING SEASON?
The Lightful skincare range has finally hit the shelves after huge success in the Asian market. As all colour trends sit against flawless hydrated skin this range covers both innovation and trend. This marine- bright formula delivers the latest in brightening technology as well as instantly replenishing lost moisture. A radiance instantly appears to the skin and intensifies over time so this hydrated skin will brighten our days through the winter months.
Now recreate any of the looks with makeup artist Suzy Rycroft’s step by step:
1. Prep lips – Exfoliate and moisturise. Then blot any excess balm with a tissue.
2. Prime lips – Apply MAC prep and prime over lips including outer edges for a long lasting base.
3. Concealer – Gently buff a fine layer on and all around the lips and powder to set.
4. Lipliner – Using short feathery strokes gently sketch your desired shape and fill the entire lip to creating a base for the lipstick to hold onto.
5. Lipstick – Start from the centre and work out using a firm lip brush to get those edges precise.
6. Concealer – For extra precision around the lip edge you can trace around with a fine brush.