Role: Assistant Archivist
Salary: Dependent on experience
Start Date: Early April 2016
Location: NW5, Kentish Town
Right to Work: Candidates must have the right to work in the UK.
We are looking for a talented and highly organised Assistant Archivist in archiving to provide support to the Archivist in our busy post-production department. The ideal candidate will have some transferable or relevant experience Touching every area of the business, the archive department manages all Rankin’s digital assets as well as the physical archive.
Sourcing from the archive
- Locating negatives and contact sheets, and recalling images from tape when necessary.
- Research and supply suitable images to creative team for treatments and pitches.
- Supply images to press for features and work with head of PR and Coms.
- Help with gathering and organising files and information for book projects.
- Deal with external and internal image requests gaining the correct approvals and supplying appropriate files whilst outlining allowed usage.
Maintaining the archive
- Archive digital assets to digital archiving system adding all information on file.
- Flatbed scanning negatives and transparencies.
- Flatbed scan, light retouch (dust) and log/ file signed polaroids.
- Collect reactive press online and Archive.
- Assisting with Hunger Archiving workflow twice a year.
- Assist with syndication agent relationship, log sales, ensure license approval requests are responded to etc. Notify of copyright infringements.
- Update various archive databases / logs on a regular basis.
- Help update, maintain, and develop the websites.
- Some basic admin (Eg: booking couriers, stock checking etc.).
- Highly organised and methodical, with a good sense of logic and a keen eye for detail.
- Calm under pressure, flexible and able to multitask. Happy to work in a fast paced environment with constantly changing priorities.
- Hardworking, able to work as a team, and keen to learn.
- Good problem solving skills, time management, and workflow management.
- Confident handling confidential work and a good awareness of the importance of discretion where necessary.
- Happy to undertake some repetitive tasks and complete to a consistently high standard.
- A basic understanding of 1990s pop culture would be advantageous.
- Rankin’s work and career – all applicants must be able to demonstrate an interest in Rankin’s work.
- Candidates must be interested in Archiving as a career. Rankin’s archive is vast – over time you will gain a deep knowledge and understanding of his prolific career to date.
TECHNICAL SKILLS – ESSENTIAL
- Adobe Photoshop – intermediate user.
- Adobe Bridge.
- Previous experience handling and flatbed scanning negatives.
- Confident Mac user (we are a Mac based environment).
- Able to deal with clients appropriately over the phone and via email.
TECHNICAL SKILLS – ADVANTAGEOUS
- Capture One experience.
- Website CMS experience.
- Previous experience or knowledge of archiving, digital archiving systems, or syndication.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Your Name – Archive Assistant’ in the subject field, attaching a CV and cover letter.
Candidates unable to prove their right to work in the UK will not be shortlisted.
Please note that we are unable to respond to every application due to the volume received. Only successful candidates will be contacted.
Rankin Photography, Hunger Magazine and HungerTV are looking for a Design intern to support our busy Design team. This internship is a genuine opportunity to get involved in and gain experience in the creative aspects of our businesses at the peak time of year for our creative output.
You will be supporting our two graphic designers with research and with putting together layouts for online features. You will also be invited to suggest ideas for book designs and creative treatments. It is highly likely you will also be helping ramp up the visual and creative aspects of our social media presence. You should have good knowledge of Adobe Indesign and Photoshop.
We are looking for someone who is culturally and visually aware; a bright, inquisitive graduate whose mind is wide open to what’s new and what’s next. Our environment is one where opinions count and are regularly challenged so it is important you are a confident communicator, an ideas generator and can take constructive criticism as intended: in the spirit of pushing our creative boundaries.
Our internships are for three months. Travel expenses (zone 1-6) are paid plus on shoot days there’s often as much free food as you can eat.
To be considered:
Please email email@example.com with the subject heading: Design Intern
Please explain why you are interested Rankin Photography and Hunger, tell us what you can bring to the team and what you hope to gain from your time with us.
Please provide portfolio links/materials if relevant.
Only candidates who can prove the right to work in the UK will be considered.